Mahbubur Rahman Shawon

15 May, 2013

10 Capitalization Rules

10 Capitalization Rules



  1. Capitalize the first word of every sentence.
  2. "I" is always capitalized, along with all its contractions.
    Example: I can do it.
    Example: I'll do it tomorrow.
    Example: I'm going to do it now.
  3. Capitalize the first word of a quoted sentence.
    Example: She said, "I can do this."
  4. Capitalize a proper noun.
    Example: Eiffel Tower
    Example: Christopher Knight
    Example: Federal Bureau of Investigation
  5. Capitalize a person's title when it precedes the name.
    Example: Doctor Smith
    Exception: Mr. Smith, the doctor at the hospital, came to check up on me.
  6. Capitalize any title when used as a direct address.
    Example: "Will you please answer the question, Senator?"
  7. Do not capitalize names of seasons.
  8. Capitalize points of the compass only when they refer to specific regions.
    Example: I have relatives visiting from the South.
    Example: I drove south to the end of the block.
  9. After a sentence ending with a colon, do not capitalize the first word if it begins a list.
    Example: These are my favorite foods: chicken, potatoes and bread.
  10. Capitalize the first word and all the words in titles of books, articles, works of art, etc. excluding short prepositions and conjunctions.
    Example: "EzineArticles Writing and Marketing"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks